The Zone Diet is a diet designed in the 90s by an American biochemist, Dr. Barry Sears, and has spread rapidly throughout the world.
In Italy for example, the biologist Gigliola Braga has written several books where he tries to adapt the Zone Diet traditions, recipes and the typical Italian eating habits (to learn more http://lazonaitaliana.it/).
The "Area" is the optimal metabolic state, in which the or ODY is able to function at its best to dispose of the excess fats. It is a physiological condition which can be reached by following a proper diet, which controls the hormones produced by the body and to reach a goal that can be slimming, or improvement in physical and mental shape, and so on.
The Zone Diet is not, however, designed as a weight loss diet but as a lifestyle. Following this diet you will have an improved state of general well-being of the organism, and consequently a slimming, if necessary, to reach the ideal weight. Continuing to eat in the "Zone", your ideal weight will be maintained over time.
The principles on which is based the Zone Diet is the control of hormones, specifically the 'insulin and eicosanoids. The secretion of insulin is to be controlled, so as to have no peaks which would lead to store fats; eicosanoids are produced from fatty acids Omega 3 and Omega 6 taken with food, and that they are in optimal ratio the Omega-6 / Omega 3 ratio should be 2 or 4 to 1 while it is estimated that 10 or 13 to 1 with Zone diet not.
The Zone Diet is based not on caloriesbut on 40/30/30 System. The numbers represent the distribution of nutrients in the diet: 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, 30% fat.
Carbohydrates must be mainly taken the form of fruits and vegetables (except for that too sugary considered "unfavorable" for the area, such as bananas, figs, prunes, peas, potatoes, corn and beet); protein from lean foods such as fish, white meat, egg white or soybeans; fats should be primarily unsaturated, especially those of the Omega 3 series so dry and oily fruits, fatty fish from cold seas, such as salmon, and to flavor olive oil or linseed oil. All these foods are considered "favorable" for the Zone Diet. Are considered rather "unfavorable" or "unfavorable" and to be taken in small quantities and not every day, whole grains, whole wheat bread, legumes, meats. not whole-grain breads and pasta should be avoided.
How to build your Zone Diet: to take in nutrients in the 40/30/30 ratio, you can use the method to block or the palm of the hand method. The method block is more accurate but more complex, at least initially.
The roughest of the palm method, but easier to follow especially if you are not always available scales.
According to this system should assume a quantity of lean protein equal to the size in width and in thickness of the right palm, and a portion of fruit and vegetables corresponding to two palms. If any were taken a number of unfavorable carbohydrates, the amount must not exceed the clenched fist. For the oil, adjust with a teaspoon at lunch and one at dinner.
The system blocks the Zone Diet
The block system requires innanzitutto to calculate the necessary blocks, which are established according to the weight and lean body mass and individual according assessed physical activity. We found a useful calculator on this site: http://www.massamagra.com/calcolo- demand-proteico.htm , however keep in mind that you should never go below the 11 blocks.
A block is composed of the three macronutrients in the percentages 40/30/30 or a block contains 9 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat. To facilitate the composition of a meal, a block can be divided into 3 Miniblocks: a block is formed in fact by 1 miniblocco of carbohydrates, protein and a 1 miniblocco miniblocco fat.
For example, a 3 by blocks meal can be constituted by:
90 gr. chicken breast (4 Miniblocks proteins)
380 grams of green beans, 1 apple (2 Miniblocks carbohydrates)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (3 Miniblocks fat)
The Zone Diet promotes weight loss without loss in lean body mass, because once the body has entered the "Zone" the body burns fat reserves for energy without affecting muscle mass.
More information on the official website http://www.enervitwellness.it where you can find also products such as biscuits or snacks balanced EnerZona the line to ease your diet.
Example 12 blocks menu
(Menu from the book "The Italian Zone" Gigliola Braga)
Breakfast for 2 blocks
They report several alternatives:
1. 200 grams of semi-skimmed milk or 200 grams of low-fat plain yogurt, 4aEnerZona cooked, unsweetened coffee or tea to taste
2. 200 grams of low-fat plain yogurt, ½ toast made of 20 grams of wheat bread and 30 grams of ham fat, 3 almonds or walnut 1
Snack midmorning 1 block
They report several alternatives:
1. 20 grams of dried beef, 1 kiwi, 3 olives
2. 30 grams of fat cooked ham, 1 tangerine, 1 walnut
3. 80 grams of ricotta cheese, ½ apple, almonds 3
4. 1 toast with 2 half slices of white bread and 30 grams of filling of ham and cheese
5. 200 grams of low-fat plain yogurt
6. 80 g cheese with a teaspoon of fructose, 3 almonds
7. 1 bar or other balanced snacks (EnerZona)
4 blocks lunches
They report several alternatives:
1. 120 g of chicken breast or turkey, 290 grams of broccoli or 200 grams of mushrooms, 1 apple, 1 tangerine, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2. 160 grams of sea bass or 160 grams of cod or 120 grams of sea bass or 180 grams of sword or 160 grams of salmon fish, 290 grams of broccoli, 20 grams of wheat bread, 1 kiwi, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3. 140 grams of beef, 320 grams of chard or 200 grams of arugula, 2 crackers, 1 clementine, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
4. 40 grams of raw oats or 30 grams of pearl barley, 160 g of fresh salmon, 360 grams of artichoke, 1 tangerine, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
5. 30 grams of lentils or chickpeas or 40 g 40 g beans, 200 shrimp or 120 grams of drained tuna, 300 grams of spinach, ½ apple, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
6. Omelet with 2 eggs and 2 egg whites, 20 grams of Parmesan cheese, 200 grams of peppers or 300 g tomatoes, 20 grams of wheat bread, 100 grams of cherries, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Snack midafternoon 1 block
As for mid-morning
Dinner 4 blocks
As for lunch
For us it is very important to remember the following:
Any news or advice on diets or diets contained on the site www.dietaonline.it shall be construed for informational purposes only. This information should never replace the personal advice of a dietician or nutritionist. Therefore, any decision taken on the basis of these indications must be understood as a personal and according to their own responsibilities. An indicative food program in fact, can not in any way a substitute for the medical choices, which is always the decision maker and the final charge.